Sunday 13 September 2009

Two Days In Arisaig

Back at the end of July there was a brief gap in the long series of Atlantic low pressure systems which have characterised the summer of 2009. I took the opportunity to get a couple of days sea kayaking at Arisaig. I left home at 5.45am and was paddling from Glenuig on Loch Ailort by lunchtime.

I headed east along the shore of Loch Ailort, then crossed the mouth of the loch and on across the mouth of Loch nam Uamh (loch of the caves). It was from this loch that Prince Charles Edward Stuart finally left Scotland in 1746 on a French ship after being on the run from the Hanoverian troops after the disaster of Culloden.

The weather was fine, but a NW'ly F4 was making for hard going. The wind was backing westerly and increasing as I paddled along the north shore of the Sound of Arisaig. Eventually I arrived at my camp site for the night - there have been worse spots!




I pitched up and paddled back a couple of kilometers to get additional water from a burn; the wind was still much in evidence




The view from above my tent took in Ardnamurchan Point in the south, Eigg and Rum in the west and Skye to the north





As evening came, the wind dropped and the forecast for the following day was for light winds. A severe gale was forecast for the day after that, but for now, the sunset boded well




Sure enough, the morning dawned fine and with just enough breeze to keep away the midges



I've rarely had such a nice camping spot...




I headed off to the skerries off Loch na Ceall, where somebody has been relocating the road signs!




On the way back south I stopped by my camp spot for lunch. A guided group arrived soon after. If a day like this doesn't hook them on sea paddling, they have no soul!



An open crossing south across the Sound of Arisaig brought me to Smirisary, and another great view



And some nice pebble art



Just before arriving back at Glenuig, I had a close encounter of the Basking Shark kind. This chap was about 4 metres long, so by no means fully grown



There's a video clip of him at

Al in all, it was a cracking overnight trip

No comments:

Post a Comment