Monday 5 April 2010

Lower Diabaig



The village seemed deserted. As I wandered along the short stretch of shore road, this motif painted on the front of a metal outbuilding caught my eye.






On the beach, a wrecked fishing boat lay near the high water mark. I could tell that it had originally had a blue hull and red bottom, and that the wheelhouse was steel.





It looks that someone has tried to burn the wreck in situ; scorched timbers surrounded the open bow. A photo on the Undiscovered Scotland website shows the boat in much better condition, and it looks to have had white upperworks and a covered fo'c'sle.




It doesn't look like a local boat, and the Scandinavian manufacturer's name on this tank lid next to the hull suggests it comes from across the North Sea.

Sadly, there was nobody around to ask. Lower Diabaig remained deserted, except for an elderly lady who wandered out onto the pier as I was leaving.

I rounded the southerly point of Diabaig Bay and headed south towards the final community I wanted to visit on this trip.

2 comments:

  1. The symbol on the door was done by my Great Uncle Findlay. Whilst he was still alive he kept it perfectly painted blue on the door of his croft.
    I grew up in New Zealand and always heard stories about how he drew this.
    Was mind blowing when I actually went to Diabeg and saw it...then I saw this..was looking for a picture of it and here you were!
    Thank you for this...made my day.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally, thanks for your kind comment - it's nice when somebody finds something of interest, and especially so if there's a personal connection. If you would like a full resolution jpg of the picture, just let me know

    Kind Regards

    ReplyDelete