Monday 25 June 2012

The clear waters of Soyea


As expected from the map, the north side of Soyea appreared to offer no easy landing place.  This rocky inlet looked to be the best option, but would only be feasible in weather as calm as this.  Soyea may be a version of the Norse "Soay" (sheep island), and is certainly grassy above the rocky shoreline.




 The tiny lagoon in which I landed had crystal clear water; I spent some time exploring this miniature environment.




Brightly coloured weed was growing in layers between the rocks and concealing a fascinating world.



Colourful anenomes and multicoloured whelks were everywhere




Lifting my eyes from the macro world of the rockpool, the widescreen view to Loch Inver and Suilven was a huge contrast.  It was an easy spot in which to linger but the rising tide was my cue to move on as I hoped to land at Inverkirkaig near high water.

No comments:

Post a Comment